Thursday, August 2, 2007

Green Tea, Lung Cancer, Rabbits & Compost

Small-cell lung carcinoma (SCLC), represents 15-20 percent of all lung cancer cases, and is fatal within five years in more than 85 percent of the patients who develop it. The disease typically becomes resistant to drug therapies, and is particularly insidious and difficult to treat.
That’s the bad news. The better news is that the active ingredient in green tea appears to arrest the disease’s progress at the cellular level. We've reported the studies before and posted links to relevant articles. This article is in the new issue of "Cancer News" and rather than republish it, we offer the following link: http://www.cancermonthly.com/iNP/view.asp?ID=183.

Now I digress. A rabbit has found its way into my vegetable garden. I noticed the tops eaten off my carrots, my peppers peppered with chewmarks, and my low hanging tomato branches nibbled. I have looked for the opening in my fencing, but I fear the rabbit is burrowing its way in. I have only seen it once or twice, but I believe it has taken up residence. I don't mind sharing within reason, and would not consider harming the rabbit. Any ideas on how to minimize my garden losses would be appreciated.

By the way, my wife and I make several pots of loose leaf tea every day and add the spent leaves to our compost pile. The plants seem to really thrive with our tea enhanced compost.

No comments: