Jasmine Scented Ice Cream:
- 3 cups milk, reduced with dried jasmine flowers to 2 cups yield
- 1/4 cup dried jasmine flowers
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, scraped and chopped
- 3/4 cup egg yolks (the fresher the eggs, the better)
- 2 cups organic heavy cream (avoid ultra-pasteurized)
In a non-reactive saucepan, simmer milk with jasmine flowers and reduce by 1/3 to 2 cups volume. Strain out jasmine flowers and heat with sugar and vanilla bean/pod. Bring to near scalding. Hand whisk the egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl. Temper the yolks by adding only a few tablespoons of hot milk to the yolks. Mix well then add tempered yolks back to the sauce pan. Whisk constantly on medium heat for 2 minutes. Strain and cool in an ice bath. When mixture is cooled add heavy cream. Follow manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream maker. Place in freezer before serving.
For a link to buy our culinary jasmine flowers, click here: http://potlucktea.com/Culinary.htm.